Monday 27 July 2015

OMG I am running!

As I said earlier, I started running in June. This is something I always hated as a kid. I honestly think, that people need to thing this whole PE thing over again, because that was my most feared class ever. We were never judged individually, they expected me, the chubby, asthmatic girl to run as much as quick as the gazelle of the class. Never happened. So for most of my life running meant, that I can't breath, people are making fun of me, and I feel a weird taste of blood in my mouth (yay for my asthma). 

However growing up I realised, it was not the running I hated, but the fact that I was made to do it, and no one told me, that I should not just try and run as quickly as I can, but there is a way to get into running. This is why I love the Couch to 5K app I mentioned earlier, because it tells you when to run, when to walk, and I like the Laura, the voice of the app keeps you posted about how many minutes you have left and stuff. Great app, really. :) 

Anyway, back to the running. I was terrified of yesterday's run, for one reason. All it said in the description: begin with a brisk 5-minute warm-up walk, then 20 minutes running, with no walking. At the beginning of each week I always check, what do they have for me for the following 3 runs, and reading this just really scared me. Thanks to this app I was able to run for 8 minutes before, but never in my life I have ran for 20 minutes. But I was positive. Freaking out, but positive. And you know what? I DID IT. I had to plan my route before going for the run, because here in Dundee everything is on a hill, and I am still not strong and good enough to be able to run up a hill for more then 1 minute. Or even less. So I planned my route in the park next to us, and just went for it. I kept telling myself you can do it, of course you can do it. They always say, that progress is more like a mental challenge than a physical, and I found it very true, as earlier I literally panicked myself into an "omg I can't breath" situation, where I had to stop and use my inhaler. Nothing was sore, my legs were fine, my lungs were fine, it was just my brain freaking out about the fact that I was running. So since then I always tell myself, that everything is ok, and I never experienced any pain or soreness. It is just my brain trying to sabotage me. Need to kick it's arse, that's all. 

So back to my 20 minutes. When I reached the end of the run, I almost started crying. If you told me 2 months ago, that I am going to run for 20 minutes without stopping and having no problems with it, I would have probably laughed at you and told you, you were an absolute idiot. But still here I am, writing this, and I cannot wait for my next run tomorrow. :) This is the first time I feel like I am actually a runner. Not just someone who is trying too hard and just tortures herself in the park, but I actually enjoy it, I look forward for the next one, and I started google-ing about races. Because I want to have this as a proper hobby. And I love the benefits, love to see the results, love the feeling when I get home, and I just throw my clothes on the floor and I jump in the shower and I am just so proud of myself. 

I will keep you guys posted, I hope I am going to stay this motivated. :)

2 comments:

  1. It's exactly the same with me and running- I have started it in April, and after the P.E. traumas I was sure I won't stick with it for long. I could only run for 2 minutes, and I thought I'd never get better at it... but it only needed some patience, and now I can do 4.5 km (with 4-5 minutes of running, and 2 minutes walking). My goal is to run for 20-30 minutes without stopping, so congratulations to you for doing that already :) I hope that you will stay motivated, it motivates others too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, you! It is so hard at the beginning, but after a little while you get to enjoy it, and it feels so nice. :)
      I feels so good when someone says I motivate them, thank you so much!

      Delete