Thursday 25 August 2016

Beach body vs beach clothing

I have been quite furious the past few days, about this burkini bullshit in France. Policemen forcing a woman to take her clothes off. I don't need to finish that sentence. Because who cares what is their reason. If your blood pressure doesn't rise from the fact, that armed men walked up to a woman and forced her to take her clothes off in public, then please give back your "I am a human" card, because you are not bloody one. 

People are saying, that she shouldn't wear that to a beach. Well let me tell you something. My body wasn't touched by a swimsuit for almost a decade. Because I was so ashamed of it, and I didn't want Greenpeace to come up to me thinking I was a beached whale. So whenever we went near water, no matter how roasting it was, I wore my jeans and a T-shirt. In July. Because that is what I felt comfortable in. And no one ever came up to me and asked me why I wore that. It was my choice. 

An other story, me as well. I was 11, went on a school trip to Lake Balaton, and got burnt in the sun so much, that I had one massive blister starting from my left shoulder, going through my back, to my right shoulder. So from the next day on, I wore a T-shirt over my swimsuit, to prevent further damaging of my skin. I swam in that as well. That wasn't proper beachwear either. But I needed that. 

Also, I have a friend, who has sun allergy. She wouldn't go to a beach in a tiny bikini, because it would be torture afterwards. There are so many people with scarring, stoma bags, cellulite, bruising, you name it, who wouldn't feel comfortable showing these things in public, so they cover themselves in clothes that hide them. There are people who are so pale (raising hands here!), that are afraid of skin cancer, and don't want to expose their skin for the sun for too long. There are also people, who are currently battling skin cancer, but still would like to enjoy the rays of sunshine on a lovely day, by the water. 

Oh yeah, and there is an other reason for not having traditional swimwear on. Religious beliefs. Which is also a choice by the way, and should be fucking respected. I am sorry for swearing, but I just don't want to live in a world, where a woman has to take her clothes off, which gives her comfort, just because someone can't tolerate the fact that she wanted to wear them. It is no difference from stripping a fat girl into her underwear. Or forcing someone with sun allergies to go and sunbathe without clothes on. It. Is. Her. Choice. To. Wear. What. She. Wears. 

And I am not religious at all, but I respect everyone, and they can believe in whatever they want to, from the flying spaghetti monster to Cthulhu. And if they choose to wear or not to wear something, then go on and do it. No one moaned when I saw a grown woman walking around in a Pikachu onesie in broad daylight. It covered the same amount of her body as a chador would have. 

Let people wear whatever they want to wear. Please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment