Friday 5 February 2016

Friends

Friendship is such an interesting thing. As a kid, you are friends with your neighbour, then the kids from school, and you feel like it is such a deep and strong connection between you (sometimes it really is), that it will never fade. But after moving, or changing school, or just graduating, you realize, that you were friends with certain people, because they were close to you, and you spent most of your days with them at classes, or at the playground. This doesn't necessary mean, that it was nothing important. But it is true, that if you want to meet up with someone, you are going to reach out for them, and when you notice, that you haven't spoken to someone since leaving school, there is a reason behind it. 

Interestingly enough, most of my friends, who I met in real life (school, university, work, whatever) are in this category. I think I have like a couple of friends, who I met in real life, work or through a friend, who I love and I care for, but the majority of my friendships come from the internet. 

Funny how they say, that being online, not going outside, not going out will make you lonely, you won't build your social skills, you won't have anyone to speak to. I think everyone who reads this can relate (we are on the internet after all! :D) to me, I experienced the opposite. I have lovely friends, whom I met thanks to the internet, and would have never met them otherwise. Some of you may know, I used to be a crazy hardcore World of Warcraft player, and and I still keep in touch with most of our guildies, hey, we even moved in with one of them for a couple of months! :) Two of them became great friends of ours, and we speak every day, luckily we are closer to them here. 

But not just WoW, the internet in general has been a great place for me to find people who I love. I was like 15 when I started being active on a forum of a Hungarian teen magazine, and I met so many people there, it is crazy. It was such a long time ago, that my oldest friends are from there, and I don't even consider them "internet" anymore, because I just forget that this is how it started. Most of them I met eventually of course, but there are still friends, who I love and care for, who I know from there and we are yet to see each other in real life. 

And there are so many other ways to meet someone, reading blogs, instagram, everything basically. I felt quite poorly the past couple of days, the flu got me, and I got the cutest get well card and gift from a friend, who is kind of a mix of real life and internet friend, as she is my sister's friend, but I know her from "here", the internet. Anyway, it is just so lovely, that someone, who you never shared a room with, is thinking about you, and cares for you. 

And so I am at least a bit on topic, it is so much easier to go through a big change like mine with the internet. There are so many people helping me with comments, likes, and just general support. Having friends and people who care for you is the greatest thing. Thank you, love you. Yes, you. :) 

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post and I can relate to it so much! Internet offers so many great opportunities to make friends. Since I've been publishing on the Internet (blog&fanfiction) and joined some social media (first Twitter then recently Tumblr) I got to know some very nice people, like I know you from Twitter =) but others I know because of fandom life. =D
    I have two major internet friends stories: one is about one of my greatest friends who I met on TeveClub =D, we started talking, then we met in real life and we still keep in touch. She's such an inspiring person and I'm glad she's my friend.
    Another is a recent story, this girl from Venezuela (!!!) reads my fanfiction and everything started with me replying to a review she'd written to my fic in December I guess. She texted me back, and now we talk on a regular basis. I find it so amazing I met someone from literally the other side of the world whom I have so much things in common with. =)

    ReplyDelete