Thursday 1 October 2015

Why do I enjoy running?

Earlier, even this year, I honestly thought, that people who run are crazy. The only experience I had with running, were the high school PE lessons, when everyone had to run around the school like a mad man, and no one cared if you had asthma, or a sore knee, or you just hated running. So making the decision that I am going to start running was quite hard. And the first couple of times I went out were even harder. Dundee is a giant pile of hills, so you can rarely find a land for running, where you don't have to battle up the hill. This is I think the only reason, why I am still not able to run for a long period of time without walking, because every 10 minutes I reach a point, where I have to climb up again, and I am not strong enough yet to run up the hill. But I will get there.

Anyway, back to the topic. I think it took like 3-4 weeks, but after that I said to myself, ok, I like this. Not because of the feeling during running. I just started liking that like 3 weeks ago. My main motivator is the feeling I have after I finish. When I get home, sweating like a dog, trying to catch my breath, and then I look at my app, and see the kilometers I just ran, and I feel like wonder woman. And after my shower, when I drink my green tea, I have this healthy feeling, which I can't really explain, but I feel like my body is happy and is working as it should. 

And it is true what they say, that a lot of things will get easier and better, just because you work out. I feel generally happier, my mood is better than before. My skin is better, don't really have spots any more. It is great for digestion and the bowels as well. 

What I also like about running: the other runners. Everyone smiles at me. Such a great motivator, it is like a secret club, when you see the other, and you don't have to say a word, you just look at each other, and know what the other is thinking, and you just run away smiling.

This is might be a local thing, but it is not just the runners, who look and smile at you. I run next to a hospital, and a lot of the staff comes out to the park to have their lunch (and a cigarette, which I hate personally, but it is their choice). Everyone smiles, sometimes they even say hello, or well done. I remember, when my husband and I started running years ago back in Hungary, we always went late in the afternoon, night even, just to avoid as many people as we could, as it was quite common to hear "run fatty", or laughing when we passed. It is just a different environment here altogether, which I adore.

I know, that running is not for everyone, it can be quite hard on the joints, and some people just can't get breath during it, so I am not trying to force everyone into running. But if you are looking for a workout, running is free (well almost, you need proper shoes), and it might be something you will enjoy, so it does worth a try. :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay, new post :)

    I completely agree, running is hard, but you not running for how it feels, but the accomplishment you feel afterwards. You described it so well. this is how I feel after every gym. And when I don't exercise you start missing it!

    Believe me if you would stop for a week, you would feel weird, annoyed and upset. Exercise balances you out.

    My trainer said 80% diet and 20% exercise but that exercise is a core ingredient to success as well.

    Can't wait to read more of your progress :) Love reading stories like this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is more about your diet than your workout, but it still adds a lot. It annoys me at work when people are like "oh you lost a lot of weight, is it just because of the running"? Nah man, it is never that easy, I am working hard on eating right AND working out, don't try to make my accomplishments any smaller by saying I only lost weight because "I just run".

      Delete
  2. it's so good to see how everyone enjoys running in his/her own way!

    my story started quite similar to yours, with bad experiences from school (+ mean critics of the sports teacher embracing me in front of my classmates). i changed my perspective of sports, when i moved far from my friends and family and was left alone with my grief. it was a lot of change and i didn't had anyone to talk to, i couldn't sleep. on a friend's advice i started working out, so i get tired enough to sleep. after a little experiment with swimming i choose running because it seemed easier (no hair washing, drying, etc) and cheeper. also there was a huge park around the corner.

    it wasn't love at first sight. i needed a couple of months until my endurance got good enough, so i enjoyed it. running helps me to clear my mind and calm down. it gives me a feeling of freedom and lightness (and maybe power?). of course i like that feels-good-tiredness after the run, but my main motivation is the experience during the run.

    and yeah, there’s also a cultural side. i participated on runs in vienna and this year i tired one also in budapest. i found it a bit disappointing. it was good, just that i was expecting the enthusiasm and energy i was used to from austrian public. but i’m sure this will change :)

    sorry, that my comment got so long. i’m so excited, when someone is excited about running! and i hope it’s clear, that i don’t want to impose a right reason for running. there just isn’t one.
    go girl!, i like your blog and sometimes your posts get me to put my running shoes on, when i feel, i need some me-time but i’m still bargaining with myself.

    ReplyDelete